Thursday, June 25, 2015

Philippines Vacation 2015 (With a Twist!)


     We just returned from 5 weeks in the Philippines.  This will be our major travel event for the summer, and the first time we have been there since 2010.  Unlike all of our previous "vacations" in the Philippines, this time we had some important work to do while we were there.
     Over the past year or so we have been accumulating goods (donated by generous businesses in Utah) to be able to distribute to the people of the Philippines.  When our trip was confirmed as a "Go" in December we began in earnest to package and ship these goods over there in advance of our arrival.  In total we sent some 33 boxes (24x18x24 inch shipping boxes) containing over 3000 Lbs of stuff!  In addition to the donated clothing, a pair of Boy Scouts (each from a different troop) provided us with school backpacks packed with supplies as part of their individual Eagle Projects to be distributed to poor children in the Philippines.

     During our trip we had the pure pleasure of giving away all of these donations to many wonderful people (some we previously knew and some we just met) in the Philippines.  I will always cherish the friendly smiles and expressions of love we received from everyone there! 
     In the coming days I will be posting to Facebook and blogging about all of the amazing things we were fortunate to be able to do while we were there.  I have never been a "bucket list" kind of guy, opting not to clog my head with ideas that have no chance of happening.  On this trip I was able to do some really awesome things and experience the Philippines in a whole new way and with a whole new attitude and perspective.  I have always loved the Philippines and it's incredible people and places, but I have gained an entirely new view of my favorite place in all the world.  It seems that even as my love for my special Filipina girl is always growing, so my love for Her homeland (everything and everyone in it) is destined to keep on growing as well.
     Stay tuned folks!  There's a LOT to cover and it all starts Right NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment