Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pillar of Fire

I just finished reading (Listening to actually...) The Promised Land vol.1: Pillar of Fire, by David Woolley. Given the number of hours I spend in the car every week, I have enjoyed listening to audio books while I work. This is the latest, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I have kind of mixed feelings about the "Historical" LDS Fiction, but it is really starting to grow on me. This series is set in Jerusalem just prior to Lehi & Ishmael's families leaving. It draws on the framework given in the Book of Mormon and expands (imaginativly) upon it. It takes a little liberty I think in some of the character development, but certainly within reason. From early on in the book I was really gripped by the plot line and interested to see how Mr Woolley would develop the personalities of those who we know so well from the BOM. I certainly found that the kind of circumstances and events he creates could certainly have been expected given the sorry state of the people of Israel at that time frame. The end of the book was reasonably predictable, but I certainly has me chomping at the bit to read Vol. 2!! Luckily My best Friend has Vol 2 and wants to trade me for Vol 1 so He can start the series too!! I can't Wait!

The last novel I read was Daniel & Nephi by Chris Heimerdinger. This novel was great fun even though it is geared toward a younger audience. Chris takes the "What If" approach and supposes that Daniel (of the Lions Den!) and Nephi could have met as boys. He weaves this idea into a grand adventure! I enjoyed it a lot and look forward to reading some of Mr Heimerdinger,s other works!


Daniel and Nephi (Soft Cover Book) by Chris Heimerdinger

No comments:

Post a Comment